Best Car Diagnostic Tool – Top 4 To Deal With Trouble Codes
We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases in form of commission or other compensation from the links on this page, at no additional cost to you. Thank you if you use our links, we really appreciate it!
- BMW Warning Lights: Safety Dashboard Symbols To Know - April 24, 2020
- Best OBD2 Scanner With ABS And SRS Functions (Reviews & Guide) - December 2, 2019
- What Should Tire Pressure be on a Car? (FAQ) - November 23, 2019
Best Car Diagnostic Tool Available In The Market Right Now
If you have a decent amount of experience in dealing with car troubles and you want to save some money by checking and pinpointing the real reason behind that Malfunction Indicator Lamp light, then getting the best car diagnostic tool for your car is the way to go.
When buying a vehicle diagnostic scanner, you should keep in mind that there is no substitute for a professional help provided by service centers as they employ experienced mechanics who will use an extensive diagnostic scanner in finding and repairing your car problems.
However, there are times you may be able to fix it yourself—and save some money. That’s where a diagnostic scanners comes in. Majority of diagnostic tools for cars available on the market come in the form of either a reader or scanner and sometimes a single device with both functions.
In order to help you find the best car diagnostic tool, we have reviewed some of the top listed brands available in the market today.
This scan tool can be used for troubleshooting different types of problems related to your car, which can save you a lot of money by diagnosing the cause of the problem. It is quite small in size, but it has the ability to provide the same amount of information compared to higher-end models. This code reader can display thousands of code tips about your vehicle. The Autel (MaxiScan MS309) OBD-II Code Reader / Scan Tool is compatible with all vehicles manufactured after 1995, as well as new vehicles which are OBD 2 and CAN compliant. This OBD 2 scanner is currently available at for less than $20.
- Can be used for accessing DTCs and to erase if required.
- Can be used for retrieving generic, manufacturer and pending codes.
- Can be used for retrieving vehicle information such as VIN, CIN and CVN.
- Can be used for turning off Check Engine light (MIL) as well as to clear codes and reset the monitor.
- Can be used for checking I/M readiness status.
- Provides DTC definition on the screen, no extra manual required.
- Some users have reported problems with the scanner’s incompatibility with some of OBD 2 compliant vehicles.
The Autel (MaxiScan MS309) OBD-II Code Reader / Scan Tool is compact but packs almost as much of a punch as bigger more expensive models..
The Blusmart Buke New U480 Car Diagnostic Scanner Tool is just the kind of device that is needed to access DTCs and erase them if required. This device is quite small in size, which makes it lightweight and handy and easy to carry.
You can easily find out the reasons behind MIL activation and other troubles plaguing your vehicle by just connecting this device with the onboard diagnostic port of your car. After accessing the codes, you can check their definition from the code manual provided in the package. The Blusmart Buke New U480 Car Diagnostic Scanner comes with a back-lit 2 line LCD monitor for ease of viewing. This diagnostic tool is currently available for less than $20.
- Compatible with all types of OBD 2 compliant vehicles.
- Also supports Controller Area Network protocol.
- No additional laptop or such other device required for using this tool.
- Supports multiple trouble codes, which include both generic and manufacturer specific codes.
- Quite safe to use with onboard computer system of your car.
- No batteries required as it is powered via the OBD 2 cable when attached with vehicle.
- As this device is an engine code reader, it does not work on other systems like SRS, ABS, Airbag and Body of the vehicle. It is also not compatible with Diesel Trucks as well as the Honda Civic Model.
The Blusmart Buke New U480 Car Diagnostic Scanner works as advertised and it is currently very reasonably priced. Although it comes with limited functions, but still serves its purpose.
This scan tool can be categorized as a professional diagnostic scan tool, which uses a Wi-Fi system to help access and diagnose DTCs. Blue driver is compatible with all OBD 2 compliant vehicles and can be used with iPhone, iPad and iPod. This cordless scanner has a range of 50 feet in the line of sight. You just have to plug this device into the OBD2 port of your car and turn the ignition key to the on position.
Your iPhone will make the connection with the scanner and you can use the downloaded app to access all the data related to your car. The ieGeek® WIFI Wireless OBD2 Auto Scanner Adapter Scan Tool is currently available for less than $20.
- Can be used to read and erase DTCs.
- Also compatible with some 1994 and 1995 vehicles.
- Comes with software for Smartphone, PC and iOS.
- Can be used for turning off activated MIL.
- Displays both generic and manufacturer specific codes with
- Easy to use and highly portable.
- The diagnostic app required for iOS has to be purchased and downloaded separately.
Even with its separate application download problem, this scanner provides a cost-effective solution to the problems plaguing your vehicle. If we compare this scanner with other high-end scanners using the same technology, ieGeek® WIFI Wireless OBD2 Auto Scanner is the lowest in price.
This diagnostic scan tool is not compatible with iOS devices and uses Bluetooth technology to work with Android and Windows systems. This small-sized scanner comes with many features, which can help you identify the problems related with your car. You can also use this device with your Smartphone to gauge the normal functions of your vehicle.
This device is compatible with OBD 2 compliant vehicles and also supports protocols such as CAN, ISO 14230-4 (KWP2000), 1SO9141-2, J1850VPW, J1850 PWM. This scanner can also be used for current sensor data related with your vehicle, such as Engine RPM, CLV, coolant temperature, fuel system status, vehicle speed, short/long term fuel trim and so on. The Foseal Car OBD2 OBD 2 OBDII Bluetooth Diagnostic Scan Tool is available at a discounted price of less than $ 15.
- Can be used for reading DTCs, both generic and manufacturer specific.
- Onboard DTC definition available, no extra manual required.
- Helps to clear DTC as well as to turn off MIL.
- Stores a unique identifier in EEPROM.
- Can be used for setting CAN mask and filter with just one command.
- Sets the maximum number of responses to be obtained.
- Wireless range of five to ten meters.
- Some users found the top of the module too small for normal grip, making it difficult to pull it out of the OBD port.
The Foseal Car OBD2 OBD 2 OBDII Bluetooth Diagnostic Scan Tool can help you to narrow down the problems faced by your car and helps you to save money by avoiding repeated visits to the service center.
If we go through all the car diagnostic devices reviewed above, both the Foseal Car OBD2 OBD 2 OBDII Bluetooth Diagnostic Scan Tool and ieGeek® WIFI Wireless OBD2 Auto Scanner Adapter Scan Tool seem to be the best choices, depending on whether you own an Android, iPhone or Windows device.
Both of these diagnostic scanners provide complete diagnostic data related with your car and they are quite inexpensive. If you want to buy a simple scanner without any frills, then the Blusmart Buke New U480 Car Diagnostic Scanner Tool is an appropriate choice, closely followed by the Autel (MaxiScan MS309) OBD-II Code Reader / Scan Tool.