While the Ford Focus’s oil light is intended to alert you to the need for an oil change, it is incredibly annoying to see it constantly ON while driving. If you have recently changed the oil in your car and the oil light indicator is still flashing on the dashboard, it’s time to reset it manually. Not sure how? Don’t worry. You can reset the Ford Focus oil light in a few easy steps with the help of our short and easy guide. We will outline the step-by-step process for resetting the oil indicator light on each Ford Focus generation. Let’s get started without further ado!
How to reset the oil light of the Ford Focus?
Resetting the oil light on your Ford Focus is easy, but you’ll need to ensure you have the proper tools and know what to do to follow these instructions. The method will vary slightly depending on what generation Ford Focus you have.
Resetting Fourth generation (2018-2022) Ford Focus oil light
If you have the latest model of Ford Focus, i.e. 2022 Ford Focus or any other fourth-generation Ford Focus, you can reset its oil light in the following two ways:
Using a small dash screen
- To begin, start up your Ford Focus and make sure it’s in the park. Then, press the ‘settings’ button on your small dash screen on the steering wheel’s right side.
- Scroll down to the “Menu button” that will bring you to the dropdown list. Find the ‘Information’ option from this list.
- You will see ‘Oil Life’ as one of the options listed under this menu. Tap on it to select it.
- After this, select the ‘Reset oil life option’ and press OK.
- You will be requested to confirm your decision to reset your vehicle’s oil life. Press ‘Yes’ to continue with the process.
The oil life of your 2022 Ford Focus has now been successfully reset.
Using a large dash screen
- First, turn on your car and make sure the engine is not running.
- Next, press the ‘Menu’ option and the ‘Settings’ button on the large dash screen.
- Then, use the toggle buttons to scroll down to ‘Vehicle Maintenance and Service’ and select this option.
- You will now be presented with a list of maintenance items, including ‘Oil Change’. Select this option and then press the ‘Reset’ button.
- Finally, confirm that you want to reset the oil light by pressing the OK button.
Resetting Third (2012-2017), Second (2005-2011), & First Generation (1998-2004) Ford Focus Oil Light
The process for resetting the oil warning light is the same for Ford Focus vehicles from the first to third generations. It’s because they primarily share the same structure and characteristics but with minor variations like thin headlights, vibrant front-end designs, etc.
Follow this method to reset the oil light on older Ford Focus models:
- Start the car by turning the ignition to the on position without starting the engine. However, some third-generation Ford Focus has a keyless start option. For such models, press the engine start/stop button once without depressing the brake pedal. It will start the car without turning the engine on.
- Now, press the brake and accelerator pedals simultaneously for about 20 seconds. During this process, a message’ Oil Reset in Progress’ will display on the screen
- After a few seconds, you will see another message showing ‘Oil reset completed’. At this point, you should remove the foot from the pedal. Turn the car off and restart it to confirm the reset oil light.
Is it OK to drive with the oil light ON?
Driving with the oil light on can causes severe engine damage and could even lead to total engine failure. If your Ford Focus oil light is illuminated, it’s crucial to take action as soon as possible. The longer you drive with the light on, the higher the risk you’ll face.
How far can my Ford Focus go with the ON oil light?
First of all, you should never drive while the oil light is flashing ON because it alerts you to the need for an oil change or refill. But if you want an estimated distance, some experts suggest that driving 500 miles with the oil light ON is generally safe. However, more than 500 miles will increase your engine’s risk of irreversible damage.
To sum up:
Resetting the oil light on your Ford Focus is a straightforward process that only takes a few minutes. However, keep up with regular maintenance, so your car continues running smoothly and safely. If all the process fails to reset your oil light, it might be possible that there is an issue with your vehicle. In such cases, we recommend taking the Ford Focus to a qualified mechanic as soon as possible.